Saturday, January 2, 2010

Google Breakthrough and new Email Address

Friends of the SALINE VALLEY SALT TRAM
www.SaltTram.blogspot.com   SalineValleySaltTram@gmail.com
Salt Tram history is rapidly disappearing, and we are striving to rediscover the efforts of our forefathers in order to give proper recognition to their hopes, dreams and abundant sweat from an era that is rapidly fading from our memories. We are actively seeking out information about the mining of Salt in Saline Valley between 1903 and the 1950's, including: documents, photos, articles, stories, artifacts, etc. If you can help us out, please email us at the address above - Thank-you! --Tim and Brian Waag, the Waag brothers (aka E. Clampus Waagus).
Caution (PLEASE READ): Climbing around on the tramway is dangerous because its really old and defnitely unsafe, so don't even think about it. Shoot, just getting to it requires some perilous hiking, and if you don't believe me, just take a look at the Zig Zag Access Trail (or what's left of it). Plus, climbing on it weakens it and endangers your life. Also, the Saline Valley Salt Tram is on the National Register of Historic Places and should be treated with the respect that it deserves. What little remains is of great historic value, and should not be disturbed in any way. Heck, its probably against the law to move parts of the tram around, and certainly a crime to take home some of the few bits of it that remain (though you'd have to ask your friendly local BLM agent for details). So please treat it with the respect it deserves, so that future generations can enjoy whats left, without you messing it up. Really. Please. You can see its listing on the National Register of Historic Places at these web links:
National Register of Historic Places 1          National Register of Historic Places 2

*****************************************************************************************
January 2, 1910: When I had about 10 posts in this blog, putting "Salt Tram" (without quotes) into the Google search engine found this Salt Tram website on the 4th page. This was true consistently for several months, until just a few days ago, when it suddently showed up on the first page! Breakthrough! I got to where I want to be, so that when folks are curious about the Salt Tram, or have special knowledge about it, they can find this website and communicate with Brian and I.

I created a new email address for our Salt Tram research project effort, and it is SalineValleySaltTram@GMail.com. Unfortunately, SaltTram@GMail.com was my first pick, but it was already taken, and I wanted to stick with GMail, since I used it for some of my other email addresses. If you want to contact me about the Salt Tram, you can use the new address, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian and I decided that our book would be very visually oriented, since that is what attracted us to the Salt Tram in the first place, so no post will go without a photo, and since this post isn't really conducive to a photo supporting the subject, I picked a photo taken in February 2005 on our first visit to the Salt Tram pack trail that snakes up from Saline Valley along the eastern Inyos and up to the summit. This is me at Control Station I, sharing a cozy space with the tram's massive flywheel, which is, as they say, still "in situ" (latin, meaning "in the place", and in an archaeological context such as the Salt Tram, meaning "an artifact not removed from its original place"). Notice that I am wearing my "ABC Bail Bonds" T-Shirt, as well as my green "Sunday Afternoons" sun hat (which I still have).

Oh, and Happy New Year for our first Salt Tram post of the year!

*****************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment